[yocto] Does my build disk's filesystem make a difference?

Joshua Lock josh at linux.intel.com
Fri Jan 6 16:01:01 PST 2012

On 06/01/12 15:53, Jeff Osier-Mixon wrote:
> I am creating a Yocto Project build system. For various reasons, it is a
> dual-boot system, win7 & linux (probably mint 12, haven't decided). I
> have a primary boot disk with both operating systems and a large
> secondary disk to use for build trees etc.
>
> Does the filesystem on the big secondary disk matter? Ideally I would
> like to be able to get to the large data disk from both operating
> systems. That would necessitate NTFS, as win7 does not speak ext4
> reliably, but I don't want to slow my builds down.

Erk! I'm not familiar with NTFS but the thought of this scares me, I
expect you'd be opening yourself up to a world of hurt as:

a) NTFS isn't a first class citizen of Linux.
b) according to wikipedia NTFS has a 255 character filename limit - I
don't know for certain this is a problem but I wouldn't be surprised if
it is.

Will you be storing anything on the disk that isn't build related? If
you anticipate doing a lot of builds you really want to a) use a
filesystem that is Linux native and b) tweak the filesystem to reduce
the number of writes made.

If you just want/need to be able to look at the build system pieces
under WinOS then you could try:
http://www.ext2fsd.com/

Cheers,
Joshua