[yocto] Integrating 3rd Party BSP Layers

William Mills wmills at ti.com
Thu Jan 5 14:19:07 PST 2012

On 01/05/2012 06:44 AM, Jack Mitchell wrote:
> Good morning everyone,
>
> I am currently trying to figure out the best way to integrate the
> meta-texasinstruments layer with the Yocto provided layers. According to
> the meta-texasinstruments readme, it requires the meta-oe, meta-angstrom
> and meta-oe-core. Now Yocto provides the stable meta-oe-core (correct?),
> so I would clone the meta-oe and meta-angstrom, add them and the
> meta-texasinstruments layer to my bblayers.conf then build away, yes?
>
> However, what implications does adding these new layers bring when using
> them in the Yocto environment?
>
> Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated on the consequences and/or my
> methodology!
>
> The main aim of the game is trying to build an image for the beagleboard
> using the meta-texasinstruments layer as to get the latest and greatest
> support - with the possibility of using it later in the day when the
> beaglebones start appearing but with the stability and additional
> support that is acquired through the Yocto umbrella.

Yes, all good goals and within the scope of the plans for meta-ti (aka
meta-texasinstruments).  However meta-ti is still a work in progress.

By the yocto 1.2 release time frame we plan to support and show the
following layer combinations:

core stack: oe-core + meta-ti
yocto stack: poky layer set + meta-ti
angstrom stack: oe-core + meta-oe + meta-ti + meta-angstrom
arago stack: oe-core + meta-oe + meta-ti + meta-arago

However at this time the only stack being built is the angstrom
configuration.