[yocto] Upstream-Status finally @ 100%

Koen Kooi koen at beagleboard.org
Thu Feb 9 06:51:11 PST 2012

Op 9 feb. 2012, om 13:30 heeft Paul Eggleton het volgende geschreven:

> On Thursday 09 February 2012 13:22:10 Koen Kooi wrote:
>> I find the 'pending' confusing, is it 'pending submission' or 'pending
>> approval'? I'm marking patches in meta-oe with 'Upstream-status: Unknown'
>> as default instead of 'Pending' to make it a bit clearer. And patches
>> marked 'inappropriate' won't go in, it's 'rejected', 'unknown' or 'needs
>> work' in those cases. I'm not going to guess what upstream might think of
>> it, since I can't speak for them.
>
> I think the distinction between Pending and Unknown is important. The status
> is not completely unknown - the person who set it made an assessment that the
> patch should be appropriate for sending upstream, even if it would need
> further cleanup beforehand. Maybe "Pending" isn't the best word, I'm not sure,
> but "Unknown" is not right either.
>
>> All patches in OE-core now have an Upstream-status, but how many have an
>> *incorrect* Upstream-status?
>
> The status ought to be correct with regard to the patch author's assessment of
> whether or not the patch can go upstream.

That's where I disagree, it's called 'Upstream-status', not 'Perceived-upstream-status'. The field should reflect the status from an upstream perspective, not from the OE perspective. So both 'Pending' and 'Inappropriate' boil down to 'Not submitted' currently. Maybe I'm overthinking all this :)

regards,

Koen