[yocto] HOW DO I - new one added for EMGD and Crownbay

jfabernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 09:13:57 PST 2012

On 02/06/2012 10:59 AM, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 02/06/2012 05:00 AM, James Abernathy wrote:

>>> I see. This Question heading seems a bit inconsistent with what you
>>> are actually doing. Step 1 of getting EMGD on Crownbay is adding
>>> alsa to MACHINE_FEATURES for a BSP called meta-mymachine?
>>>
>>> This appears to be just trying to get commercial codecs working
>>> with accelerated graphics.
>>>
>>> The reason I raise this, is that while it's good to have these
>>> sorts of "Tactical" guides, if we aren't careful they can dilute
>>> the documentation space and end up confusing users more than they
>>> help. The README for crownbay covers what is necessary to enable
>>> EMGD accelerated graphics. Please consider renaming the title to
>>> someting more consistent with what you're trying accomplish.
>>>
>> Look, I'm not a documentation expert or understand what the project
>> team is trying to accomplish with their documentation or wiki.  A
>> user on the mailing list asked me to summarize what I did to get all
>> the issues resolve related to media acceleration and decoder.  What I
>> put in  the How Do I was a summation of the questions and answers
>> that were in the email thread. I can just as easily email that user
>> the summary, if it's not appropriate for the wiki.
>>
> Please don't take the above as a criticism of the "How Do I" concept, as
> I said at first, I appreciate you doing it - I understand it takes some
> considerable additional time to publish it. The goal is clearly to make
> things easier for others when they attempt what you're doing. I saw
> something in there that might not fit the goal and raised it as a point
> of improvement, that's all.
>

>> Please feel free to edit what I put there or remove it.
> I've CC'd Scott R. to review and see if he might care to adjust things a
> bit. I certainly don't want to remove it :)
>
> --
> Darren

What I feel is missing from the standard documentation for EMGD v1.10
integration into the Crownbay BSP is all the "other" stuff you need.
The README file in the meta-crownbay includes exactly what is needed to
integrate the EMGD v 1.10 driver.  But generally, after that users will
have the next level of questions about how do I get video and audio
media files to play correctly, or test 3D . This is technically not a
driver integration question, but can be anticipated because you wouldn't
care about integrating the EMGD driver unless you had media and 3D needs
in your application/.

Just my thoughts.

Jim A