[yocto] HOW DO I - new one added for EMGD and Crownbay

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Mon Feb 6 07:59:50 PST 2012

On 02/06/2012 05:00 AM, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2012, at 3:19 PM, Darren Hart wrote:

>>> It's the How Do I link on the wiki page:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/How_do_I
>>
>> I see. This Question heading seems a bit inconsistent with what you
>> are actually doing. Step 1 of getting EMGD on Crownbay is adding
>> alsa to MACHINE_FEATURES for a BSP called meta-mymachine?
>>
>> This appears to be just trying to get commercial codecs working
>> with accelerated graphics.
>>
>> The reason I raise this, is that while it's good to have these
>> sorts of "Tactical" guides, if we aren't careful they can dilute
>> the documentation space and end up confusing users more than they
>> help. The README for crownbay covers what is necessary to enable
>> EMGD accelerated graphics. Please consider renaming the title to
>> someting more consistent with what you're trying accomplish.
>>

> Look, I'm not a documentation expert or understand what the project
> team is trying to accomplish with their documentation or wiki.  A
> user on the mailing list asked me to summarize what I did to get all
> the issues resolve related to media acceleration and decoder.  What I
> put in  the How Do I was a summation of the questions and answers
> that were in the email thread. I can just as easily email that user
> the summary, if it's not appropriate for the wiki.

Please don't take the above as a criticism of the "How Do I" concept, as
I said at first, I appreciate you doing it - I understand it takes some
considerable additional time to publish it. The goal is clearly to make
things easier for others when they attempt what you're doing. I saw
something in there that might not fit the goal and raised it as a point
of improvement, that's all.

> Please feel free to edit what I put there or remove it.

I've CC'd Scott R. to review and see if he might care to adjust things a
bit. I certainly don't want to remove it :)

--
Darren