[yocto] Trying to re-use sstate.

David Nyström david.nystrom at enea.com
Sun Feb 5 23:53:20 PST 2012

On 02/04/2012 05:51 AM, Scott Garman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to re-use the sstate from one build directory and move it to
> another. It's not working - bitbake is rebuilding *everything*.
>
> My hunch is the reason for this is because bblayers.conf must differ
> between the two build directories, because it uses full paths to the
> layer directories.
>
> By default, when you source oe-init-build-env for the first time, it
> generates a bblayers.conf file with full paths to the default layers,
> meta and meta-yocto.
>
> I thought the point of sstate was that I could copy it between build
> directories - or even different hosts - and save myself the effort of
> rebuilding everything if the remaining metadata was the same?
>
> Scott

We have the same issue,

I tried to setup a buildbot to warm up sstate caches over night,
and let developers use this common sstate to speed up build times.
Epic fail, since paths usually are not consistent.
And it seems you can't even fake  an "identical path" with symlinks
either, bitbake detects the symlink and rebuilds everything.

The sstate cache needs improvement.
Would this issue be considered a bug or a feature request ?,
Are there any requests on how this should be solved ?

Br,
David