[yocto] [meta-mono] Support for Visual Studio debugging on Yocto/OE targets (e.g. RPi)

Autif Khan autif.mlist at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 09:10:08 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Alex J Lennon
<ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all, Autif,
>
> I've been working to support .NET development on Linux
> over the past few days.
>
> There is a Visual Studio plugin, MonoTools for Visual Studio
> which provides support for local and remote debugging of
> .NET applications with Mono.
>
> This requires a remote stub to be running on the target
> platform, monotools-server.
>
> I've created a recipe to build monotools-server, which in
> turn required me to pull in Openembedded Legacy recipes
> for mono-xsp and gtk-sharp.
>
> As it stands I'm now able to build an X enabled image for
> the Raspberry Pi and remote-debug some simple Windows
> Forms .NET applications within the Visual Studio IDE.
>
> Recipes are hosted here in 'recipes-mono'
>
> git at git.assembla.com:ciseco-eve.meta-eve.git
>
> If there is interest in migrating these recipes into meta-mono
> and  somebody will review them then I'll be pleased to make
> whatever changes are needed to comply with relevant
> Yocto policies.

Absolutely!

I am about to embark on a vacation returning to work on Jan 7.

More then - Unfortunately, I will not have time to look at this today
or until Jan 7.

Working hard - then playing hard :-)

I will dig into then when I return.

(Side note - we gave up on GTK# recipe and decided that Windows forms
are 'good enough' for us. This makes me glad :-)