[yocto] [meta-mono] Support for Visual Studio debugging on Yocto/OE targets (e.g. RPi)

Alex J Lennon ajlennon at dynamicdevices.co.uk
Wed Dec 26 09:05:43 PST 2012

Hi all, Autif,

I've been working to support .NET development on Linux
over the past few days.

There is a Visual Studio plugin, MonoTools for Visual Studio
which provides support for local and remote debugging of
.NET applications with Mono.

This requires a remote stub to be running on the target
platform, monotools-server.

I've created a recipe to build monotools-server, which in
turn required me to pull in Openembedded Legacy recipes
for mono-xsp and gtk-sharp.

As it stands I'm now able to build an X enabled image for
the Raspberry Pi and remote-debug some simple Windows
Forms .NET applications within the Visual Studio IDE.

Recipes are hosted here in 'recipes-mono'

git at git.assembla.com:ciseco-eve.meta-eve.git

If there is interest in migrating these recipes into meta-mono
and  somebody will review them then I'll be pleased to make
whatever changes are needed to comply with relevant
Yocto policies.

Best Regards, (& Happy Holidays)

Alex