[yocto] might it be worth explaining BBMASK more comprehensively?

Tim Bird tim.bird at am.sony.com
Wed Dec 12 11:42:41 PST 2012

>   a bit more pedantry, but is there a more complete example of the use
> of BBMASK than the trivial example in the ref and dev manuals?
>
>   the ref manual provides this example by way of explanation:
>
> BBMASK = ".*/meta-ti/recipes-misc/"
>
> well, ok, except you occasinally find slight variations like:
>
> BBMASK = "meta-ti/recipes-misc/"
>
> or
>
> BBMASK = "meta-ti/recipes-misc"
>
>   given that there are places where a trailing slash is significant,
> are all of the above exactly equivalent?  if so, that's worth noting.
>
>   also, what about an example showing masking out a couple
> directories, or perhaps a single recipe from a layer, and so on?  at
> the moment, the manuals suggest you can mask multiple recipes but
> nowhere do i see the reader being given an actual example of how to do
> that.

Indeed.  These would be good clarifications.  The manual says that
this is a single python regular expression.  Hence, when masking multiple
directories or recipes, you use a vertical bar to separate the regex fragments.

Here's a particularly complex case I used once:
BBMASK = "meta-ti/recipes-misc|meta-ti/recipes-ti/packagegroup"
BBMASK .= "|.*meta-oe/recipes-support"
#BBMASK .= "|.*openldap"
#BBMASK .= "|.*opencv"
#BBMASK .= "|.*lzma"
BBMASK .= "|meta-oe/recipes-core/packagegroups"
BBMASK .= "|meta-oe/recipes-devtools"
BBMASK .= "|meta-oe/recipes-extended"
BBMASK .= "|meta-oe/recipes-multimedia"
BBMASK .= "|meta-oe/recipes-navigation"
BBMASK .= "|meta-oe/recipes-connectivity"
BBMASK .= "|meta-oe/recipes-graphics"
BBMASK .= "|meta-oe/recipes-qt"

I don't know if the .= with leading bar is the optimal
way to append on to BBMASK, but it seems fairly straightforward
to me.  I sometimes use the leading ".*" and sometimes not.
In my setup it seems to not be required, but maybe for flexibility
it should be used.  I'm not sure -- it would depend on wheter
python re.match or re.search is used for the regex.
 -- Tim

Tim Bird
Architecture Group Chair, CE Workgroup of the Linux Foundation
Senior Staff Engineer, Sony Network Entertainment