[yocto] bbappending a bbappend

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Sun Dec 9 06:50:52 PST 2012

On 12-12-09 5:48 AM, Chris Tapp wrote:
> On 9 Dec 2012, at 04:47, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Chris Tapp <opensource at keylevel.com
>> <mailto:opensource at keylevel.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 9 Dec 2012, at 00:11, Chris Larson wrote:
>>
>>>     On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Chris Tapp
>>>     <opensource at keylevel.com <mailto:opensource at keylevel.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>         Is it possible to have more than one bbappend applied to a
>>>         recipe?
>>>
>>>         I'm using meta-cedartrail with my own layer (which is set as
>>>         lower priority).
>>>
>>>         Meta-cedartrail has a linux-yocto_3.0.bbappend, but I want to
>>>         be able to enable CONFIG_HID_APPLE in my layer so my Apple
>>>         keyboard works (and keep meta-cedartrail 'clean'). Is it
>>>         possible to use another linux-yocto_3.0.bbappend in my layer?
>>>         I've given it a try, but it's not working and I thought it
>>>         would be an idea to see if it __should__ before I try and fix
>>>         it ;-)
>>>

>>>     All bbappends from all layers are applied, in layer priority order.
>>
>>     Thanks, I was hoping that was the case.
>>
>>     I wonder why this isn't working then - I think I've done it as
>>     shown in the dev manual...
>>

>> Is it something other than the bbappends ? i.e. are you sure you have
>> all the required
>> dependencies for CONFIG_HID_APPLE already enabled, or in the same fragment
>> you are appending ?
>
> menuconfig shows that the dependencies are ok. I've got a single
> fragment referenced using a SRC_URI in the bbappend which sets
> FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend. The .cfg file just sets:
>
> CONFIG_HID_APPLE=y
>
> I can't find my .cfg file in the work area, so it seems as if it's not
> being picked up.

Aha. That is interesting, since if the file wasn't found, you should
get a fetcher error. But if the file isn't in the workdir, then it
definitely
won't be tacked on the end of the configuration for you (as you've
seen).

So that brings the question back to the bbappend, and why wouldn't your
file be found and propagated. hmm. I can always try something here, but
I've had multiple bbappends in the past and they've worked .. but one just
never knows what can silently break.

Bruce