[yocto] mail list for Xilinx Zynq platform?

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 07:42:19 PST 2012

Hi Andreas,

On Dec 6, 2012, at 4:57 PM, Andreas Schweigstill <andreas at schweigstill.de> wrote:

> After changing the order of BBLAYERS in build/conf/local.conf to meta, meta-zynq,
> meta-yocto, meta-yocto-bsp and using Hob to select MACHINE=zynq-zc702,
> base image=zc702-proto-image everything works fine. Now I get a proper toolchain
> for Cortex A9 and a kernel named zynq-zc702 3.5.0-14.3-build1-yocto-standard
> which is properly running on my ZC702 board.

I don't add meta-yocto-bsp to my bblayers configuration.

> I haven't built a BOOT.BIN file with Yocto based U-Boot yet. Instead I'm using
> U-Boot from Petalinux 12.9 which is configured to use the QSPI Flash to store its
> environment.
>
> Currently I boot from QSPI Flash, load kernel und DTB files via TFTP and use a
> root filesystem stored on a SD card. ;-)

If you want to build your own version of BOOT.bin, its quite simple. Just take the
u-boot.elf file, and use SDK to create a simple zynq_fsbl project. From that create
the boot image, using the SDK, and add the system.bit, zynq_fsbl.elf and u-boot.elf
binaries. Rename the produce binary to BOOT.bin, and you're good to go.

You can find more information of the boot image creation process on section 3.5,
page 29, of the UG821 - Zynq-7000 EPP Software Developers Guide v3.0.

From within SDK, it's pretty straightforward, and it will automatically create the bif file
after you've specified all the binaries, and create the bootable image.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson