[yocto] sysroot for use with GDB

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Dec 5 04:38:18 PST 2012

Hello,

nobody here who could help out?

In message <20121203124234.6327B200FF8 at gemini.denx.de> I wrote:

> according to the documentation [1] the right way to debug applications
> on the target is to load the target library information in GDB using
>
> 	set solib-absolute-prefix /path/to/tmp/rootfs
>
> i. e. referring it to the libraries in the target root file system
> image.  Assuming the target root file system uses by defualt stripped
> libraries, we need to set up a copy of the rootfs with debug
> information included.
>
> But do we really have to?  Why cannot we use the libraries present in
> the SDK's sysroot directory (i. e. what OECORE_TARGET_SYSROOT points
> to) ?

It appears that documentation and code are inconsistent; at least the
eclipse plugin generates a .gdbinit script which contains a

	set sysroot /opt/poky/1.3/sysroots/armv7a-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi

statement, i. e. it uses OECORE_TARGET_SYSROOT as I thought should
work - but it doesn't.

> Trying to do so, we see that it fails.  Our current suspicion is that
> maybe prelinking of the target images and libraries introduces some
> incompatibility.  Is this a reasonable assumption, and if so, is this
> a problem that should be fixed, or unavoidable for some reason?  Or is
> there a problem with the libraries in OECORE_TARGET_SYSROOT ?
>
> All help welcome - thanks in advance.
>
> [1] http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#platdev-gdb-remotedebug-launch-gdb

OK, guess I should enter a bug in bugzilla, then?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Humanity has the  stars  in  its  future,  and  that  future  is  too
important  to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant
superstition.                                          - Isaac Asimov