[yocto] sysroot for use with GDB

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Dec 3 04:42:34 PST 2012

Hello,

according to the documentation [1] the right way to debug applications
on the target is to load the target library information in GDB using

	set solib-absolute-prefix /path/to/tmp/rootfs

i. e. referring it to the libraries in the target root file system
image.  Assuming the target root file system uses by defualt stripped
libraries, we need to set up a copy of the rootfs with debug
information included.

But do we really have to?  Why cannot we use the libraries present in
the SDK's sysroot directory (i. e. what OECORE_TARGET_SYSROOT points
to) ?

Trying to do so, we see that it fails.  Our current suspicion is that
maybe prelinking of the target images and libraries introduces some
incompatibility.  Is this a reasonable assumption, and if so, is this
a problem that should be fixed, or unavoidable for some reason?  Or is
there a problem with the libraries in OECORE_TARGET_SYSROOT ?

All help welcome - thanks in advance.

[1] http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#platdev-gdb-remotedebug-launch-gdb

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
tried it."                                             - Donald Knuth