[yocto] chris larson's cool "bitbake-env" utility

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Dec 4 03:36:05 PST 2012

On Mon, 3 Dec 2012, Tim Bird wrote:

> On 11/30/2012 05:53 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Nov 2012, Tim Bird wrote:
> >
> >> I put a link to your page on my bitbake cheat sheet page at:
> >> http://elinux.org/Bitbake_Cheat_Sheet
> >
> >   as someone who has never bothered to play with any of the UIs and is
> > thus asking from a position of total ignorance, i have a couple
> > questions about the "User interfaces" section of that cheat sheet.
> >
> >   using stock oe-core, i followed your cheat sheet and tried this:
> >
> > $ bitbake
> >
> > and got:
> >
> > ERROR: Timeout while attempting to communicate with bitbake server
> >
> > so i need to start the server?  should that be mentioned there?
>
> Hmmm.  With bitbake from poky-1.2-denzil I get:
> "Nothing to do.  Use 'bitbake world' to build everything, or run 'bitbake --help' for usage information."
>
> I think that "bitbake <nothing>" is not really a valid invocation.

  never mind, just my incoherence ... when i was reading up on
"bitbake -u hob", i also read that "-u" had a default value of knotty,
so i assumed, oh, then i should be able to run just "bitbake" (even
though i had no idea what that would represent).  just silliness on my
part.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca