[yocto] chris larson's cool "bitbake-env" utility

Tim Bird tim.bird at am.sony.com
Mon Dec 3 17:06:59 PST 2012

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2012, Tim Bird wrote:
>
>> I put a link to your page on my bitbake cheat sheet page at:
>> http://elinux.org/Bitbake_Cheat_Sheet
>
>   as someone who has never bothered to play with any of the UIs and is
> thus asking from a position of total ignorance, i have a couple
> questions about the "User interfaces" section of that cheat sheet.
>
>   using stock oe-core, i followed your cheat sheet and tried this:
>
> $ bitbake
>
> and got:
>
> ERROR: Timeout while attempting to communicate with bitbake server
>
> so i need to start the server?  should that be mentioned there?

Hmmm.  With bitbake from poky-1.2-denzil I get:
"Nothing to do.  Use 'bitbake world' to build everything, or run 'bitbake --help' for usage information."

I think that "bitbake <nothing>" is not really a valid invocation.
I've changed the page accordingly.

>   i then tried:
>
> $ bitbake -u knotty2
> FATAL: Invalid user interface 'knotty2' specified.
> Valid interfaces: depexp, goggle, ncurses, hob, knotty [default].
> $

It looks like knotty2 was an experimental interface, with features
now folded into knotty in poky-1.3-danny.

I removed it from the page.

>   just pointing out that if i follow that cheat sheet to the letter, i
> run into problems.
Thanks very much for trying things out and reporting the problems.

I've altered the page to hopefully address the issues.

Maybe I should mention that I'm using the bitbake from the yocto project?
I didn't think they were diverged very far.
 -- Tim

Tim Bird
Architecture Group Chair, CE Workgroup of the Linux Foundation
Senior Staff Engineer, Sony Network Entertainment