[yocto] [ADT] Autotools: configure using --with-libtool-sysroot

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Aug 23 13:46:39 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-08-22 at 16:22 -0700, Rudolf Streif wrote:
> I tried, according to the documentation
> at http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/adt-manual/adt-manual.html#extracting-the-root-filesystem), to configure and compile the autotooled GNU Hello World Applcation for x86 and ARM with
>

> ./configure --host=i586-poky-linux --with-libtool-sysroot=
> ${YOCTODIR}/adt-sysroots/x86
>

> and
>

> ./configure --host=armv5te-poky-linux-gnueabi --with-libtool-sysroot=
> ${YOCTODIR}/adt-sysroots/arm
>

> As expected configure does not recognize
> --with-libtool-sysroot: configure: WARNING: unrecognized options:
> --with-libtool-sysroot.
>

> Running the suggested commands:
>

> $ libtoolize --automake
> $ aclocal -I ${OECORE_NATIVE_SYSROOT}/usr/share/aclocal \
>         [-I <dir_containing_your_project-specific_m4_macros>]
> $ autoconf
> $ autoheader
> $ automake -a
> did not make a difference (same error message). However, compiling the
> application worked just fine.

Which libtoolize script/binary is being used (try "which libtoolize")?

It probably works fine since your sample app isn't actually linking to
anything. That could be the other reason actually, perhaps there you
don't use libtool in your sample app?

> Questions:
>       * What exactly is --with-libtool-sysroot supposed to do?

Its an option to tell libtool to prefix library references with the path
to the sysroot.

>       * What could be the reason that the steps to update the
>         configure script to recognize the option do not work?

It sounds like it is updating configure but not with the version of
libtool that the ADT comes with. You did source the ADT environment
script before running the above commands (assuming it does use libtool)?

Cheers,

Richard