[yocto] Documenting the mailing lists.

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Mon Aug 20 15:04:12 PDT 2012

On 08/20/2012 02:34 PM, Rifenbark, Scott M wrote:
> Here is what it says in the Reference Manual:
>
> 12.3. Mailing lists There are a number of mailing lists maintained by the
> Yocto Project as well as related OpenEmbedded mailing lists for discussion,
> patch submission and announcements. To subscribe to one of the following
> mailing lists, click on the appropriate URL in the following list and follow
> the instructions:
>

> This is what Paul is referring to by way of corrections.  I personally think
> it is useful to have something of a list in the Reference manual under this
> heading.  I don't think we need the exact same wordings though in the
> Reference manual as would be found in https://lists.yoctoproject.org/.  The
> stuff in the Reference manual should be general and give the reader an idea of
> the flavor of the lists.  I can update the reference manual to include a link
> to https://lists.yoctoproject.org/ for the final say on each list.

Hrm, a wrench in the works. It is necessary to include non-yoctoproject.org
mailing lists in order to fully document where all patches for "the Yocto
Project" should go. As such, we can't rely on the lists.yoctoproject.org as the
sole point of documentation. As such, as I see it, the sources README or
MAINTAINERS files should be the definitive policy setter regarding where to send
patches. Of course there is more to define than just that.

Perhaps the best we can do is update the descriptions in mailman for the yp
lists and update the mailing lists page with those and the external lists. Many
people will look to the mailing lists page on the yp website before they look in
the reference manual.

Thoughts?

--
Darren