[yocto] [denzil-next BREAKAGE] Silent breakage in denzil-next --- uImage*.dts no longer generated

Scott Garman scott.a.garman at intel.com
Wed Aug 1 09:56:47 PDT 2012

On 08/01/2012 07:50 AM, Leon Woestenberg wrote:
> Hello Scott, all,
>
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Leon Woestenberg
> <sidebranch.openembedded at gmail.com
> <mailto:sidebranch.openembedded at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello Scott,
>
>     I tested your denzil-next branch but found breakage that will not
>     fail the (auto) build.
>
>     I'm hitting the "Warning: ${DTS_FILE} is not available!" case.
>
> Disregard the breakage.  Local user error; my KERNEL_DEVICETREE missed
> the "${S}" prefix.
>
> However, that being said, should we silently fail with a warning of the
> specified device tree (DTS) is missing?  This is clearly a change of
> behaviour that makes the build prone to user errors, as I just demonstrated.
>
> I rather have the build fail.

Hi Leon,

Thanks for bringing this up. I believe Matthew made the original request
for this commit (linux-dtb: add multi-dtb build support,
a40d795ee97d8ada6a0b76c9741a8653fd646893). I'm cc:'ing him on this email
as well as Richard Purdie, who has yet to review the new commits in my
denzil-next branch and may also have some input on this issue.

The question in my mind right now is whether this change is too
risky/change-inducing for a point-release.

Scott

--
Scott Garman
Embedded Linux Engineer - Yocto Project