[yocto] confusion about IMAGE_INSTALL and getting packages into rootfs

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Thu Apr 12 00:15:47 PDT 2012

On 04/11/2012 11:02 AM, Peter Tornel wrote:
> I'm working with the poky tree, master branch.  I added a few packages
> to IMAGE_INSTALL in core-image-minimal.bb.  Everything builds fine, and
> I can see the built images in each tmp/work subdirectory for my
> IMAGE_INSTALL packages.
>
> However, I find that some of the image executables that were part of the
> packages specified in IMAGE_INSTALL wind up in my core-image-minimal
> rootfs and some don't.
>
> Is there a switch or variable that I need to set to direct all packages
> specified in IMAGE_INSTALL to be installed into my rootfs?

The preferred way modify the packages that get installed is via the
CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL (POKY_EXTRA_INSTALL in the 1.1 edison release
and earlier) variable in your local.conf. However, modifying the recipe
itself - or writing a new image recipe that sets IMAGE_INSTALL should work.

Can you provide an example of what you have tried that doesn't work?
Keep in mind that you should be using package names here, not recipe names.

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center