[yocto] confusion about IMAGE_INSTALL and getting packages into rootfs

Peter Tornel petertornel at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 11:02:05 PDT 2012

I'm working with the poky tree, master branch.  I added a few packages to IMAGE_INSTALL in core-image-minimal.bb.  Everything builds fine, and I can see the built images in each tmp/work subdirectory for my IMAGE_INSTALL packages.

However, I find that some of the image executables that were part of the packages specified in IMAGE_INSTALL wind up in my core-image-minimal rootfs and some don't.

Is there a switch or variable that I need to set to direct all packages specified in IMAGE_INSTALL to be installed into my rootfs?