[yocto] poky consume all memory on redhat-based linux in virtualbox

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Thu Sep 22 03:01:54 PDT 2011

On 22 Sep 2011, at 10:28, 蔡振军 wrote:

> Hi all,
>          When I tried to build image on Fedora and Scientific , I
> encountered same problem that poky consume all memory and then
> system became very slow. The poky process also moved on hardly.
> After killing poky process, memory wasn’t freed. I had noticed that
> some process like “cc1”  brought up by poky process were still
> alive. Anybody know what’s the problem?

How much memory do you have? I've seen the build process peak at
something like 2.5GB. I started running with a VM that only had 1GB
allocated and had the same problem as this caused lots of swap file
activity. It was mainly the compiler/linker that was using most of the
memory, which would explain why you see 'cc1'. Don't forget that the
build process fires off multiple processes.