[yocto] Build error while following Appendix A. Yocto Project Development manual

Tom Zanussi tom.zanussi at intel.com
Wed Nov 2 13:18:29 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 13:07 -0700, Jim Abernathy wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 14:36 -0500, Tom Zanussi wrote:
>
> > And what kind of machine are you booting it on?
> >
> > Tom
>
> I'm building on Core i5 desktop with Ubuntu 10.10.  One of the odd
> things I've noticed during the build is it takes the usual long time
> (couple of hours) to build. However when it get to task ~4000, it jumps

Yeah, that's not out of line with expectations.  You are using
BB_NUMBER_THREADS and PARALLEL make in your local.conf, I assume.

> quickly to 43xx close to the end. Not sure if it's missing something
> critical and I've not set some parameter about the Root file system
> somewhere.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the task numbers themselves - some
tasks take very little time and finish in quick progression.  And
there's nothing specific about a root filesystem setting in the appendix
instructions, we're just copying existing working settings, but there is
something wrong with your build nonetheless.

I'm planning on submitting a patch to the appendix as soon as I can
today or tomorrow morning, which I'll work through and verify, so you
shouldn't have to do any guesswork and shouldn't run into any of these
kinds of problems...

Tom