[yocto] Remote Debugging with Yocto Project Plugin

Murilo Travaglia murilo.travaglia at phiinnovations.com
Thu Mar 31 08:35:06 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Hi I'm new in Yocto Project and I intent to study TCF Agent and port ir to
diferents platforms. The first thing I'm doing is to simulate how does the
Yocto Project works, especially the TCF Agent with the Eclipse Debug
Framework.

First at all I installed the Yocto Plugin in my eclipse, installed a
toolchain (586), download a toolchain to 586, download a pre-built linux
kernel and a filesystem (sato). So I'm able to run QEMU and use the
features, remote file explorer, remote debug and use yocto tools.

The second step I'm trying to do is to use the features of Yocto in my
custom Linux. So I built a 586_linux and I'm running it in QEMU. I got the
source code of eclipse_poky and TCF, aplied the patches of Yocto Project in
TCF code and built (localy in my machine, because is the same architecture)
the org.eclipse.tm.tcf.terminals.agent agent. Then I put the binary of the
agent in my linux running in QEMU and started it. In Eclipse if the Yocto
plugin installed I'm able to use Remote File System Explorer, I can see my
home files, etc, can execute some yocto tools, but when I try to the debug
an aplication in my remote target, I can't do it. I can see that the binary
file is copied to the target (I also can execute it manually), but eclipse
stay trying to debug (maybe trying to find the file) and then after a time a
got an error. I also tryed to put the tcf-agent binary provided in the
yocto-image-sato-qemux86-0.9.rootfs and I have the same behavior.

Does anybody know why I'm having this issue? Why I can debug in remote
target using the linux provided by poky-qemu and can't do this in my
custom-linux?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

--