[yocto] rootfs image size

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Thu Jan 27 07:22:34 PST 2011

On 1/27/11 7:34 AM, Aleksandr Koltsoff wrote:
> Chris Tapp wrote:
>> I've built poky-image-minimal for atom-pc using the 0.9 Poky release.
>>
>> This gives me an ext3 rootfs of over 80MB, which doesn't sound minimal
>> to me ;-)
>>
>> Can I reduce the size of the image, or is it expected to be this size?
>
> Hi there,
>
> The rpm packaging version does has some issues (half-statically built
> binaries, full SAT-solver which might be an overkill for a minimal
> image, etc).

Many of these items are resolved in the mhatle/rpm5 branch that is part of
poky-contrib.  I'm trying to get the work finished for inclusion in the next day
or so.

But for a minimal image, RPM likely is too big of a hammer for the filesystem
design you want and IPK is likely more useful to you.

The place where I see RPM being needed is in medium size to larger (CGL) style
systems.  Also places where a sat solver is necessary for field upgrades... even
though thats not quite working yet.

--Mark