[yocto] rootfs image size

Aleksandr Koltsoff aleksandr.koltsoff at ebts.fi
Thu Jan 27 05:34:53 PST 2011

Chris Tapp wrote:
> I've built poky-image-minimal for atom-pc using the 0.9 Poky release.
>
> This gives me an ext3 rootfs of over 80MB, which doesn't sound minimal
> to me ;-)
>
> Can I reduce the size of the image, or is it expected to be this size?

Hi there,

The rpm packaging version does has some issues (half-statically built
binaries, full SAT-solver which might be an overkill for a minimal
image, etc).

I got much better results by switching to PACKAGE_CLASSES ?=
"package_ipk" in local.conf.

This will not be an RPM based system, but the image size will be
significantly smaller (especially if you're trying to reduce minimal).

Also, some fixes (post 0.9) should drop the rpm size requirement a bit,
if you want to try git/master.

regards,

ak.
--
Best regards,

Aleksandr Koltsoff
Head of Software Development, EKE Building Technology Systems
+358 44 566 2030, Piispanportti 7, 02240 Espoo, Finland
-= Easy Home Control for Everyone @ www.ebts.fi =-