[yocto] Building all packages using the released toolchain

Rick De Laet rdelaet at mri-inc.net
Wed Jan 12 20:12:04 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 10:32 +0800, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

Ok. I was not sure if it was specific to Fedora 14 or not.  The Quick
Start mentions Fedora 14 "or another distribution with GNU make 3.82"
which is what I have on Fedora 12, so I thought this step would be
required.

Why is this only required on Fedora 14?

BTW, I did run Bitbake poky-image-sato, and I got a similar error to
below, but in a different directory

> Btw, could you post your errors?

My gcc version is 4.4.4, the latest available from yum update for Fedora
12.  My poky-4.0-build/conf/local.conf is attached.

My error building the elfutils directory is shown below:

| ccache gcc -std=gnu99 -Wall -Wshadow -Werror -Wunused -Wextra
-fgnu89-inline -Wformat=2
-isystem/lfs/poky/poky-4.0-build/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/include -O2
-rdynamic -L/lfs/poky/poky-4.0-build/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/lib
-Wl,-rpath-link,/lfs/poky/poky-4.0-build/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/lib
-Wl,-rpath,/lfs/poky/poky-4.0-build/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/lib
-Wl,-O1 -o ld ld.o ldgeneric.o ldlex.o ldscript.o symbolhash.o
sectionhash.o
versionhash.o ../libebl/libebl.a ../libelf/libelf.so ../lib/libeu.a
-ldl
| ccache gcc -std=gnu99 -Wall -Wshadow -Werror -Wunused -Wextra
-fgnu89-inline -Wformat=2
-isystem/lfs/poky/poky-4.0-build/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/include -O2
-Wl,-rpath-link,../libelf:../libdw
-L/lfs/poky/poky-4.0-build/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/lib
-Wl,-rpath-link,/lfs/poky/poky-4.0-build/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/lib
-Wl,-rpath,/lfs/poky/poky-4.0-build/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/lib
-Wl,-O1 -o elflint
elflint.o ../libebl/libebl.a ../libelf/libelf.so ../lib/libeu.a  -ldl
| ldgeneric.o: In function `ld_generic_open_outfile':
| ldgeneric.c:(.text+0x8f62): warning: the use of `mktemp' is dangerous,
better use `mkstemp'
| ./ld: invalid option -- 'p'
| Try `ld --help' or `ld --usage' for more information.
| collect2: ld returned 64 exit status
| make[2]: *** [elflint] Error 1
| ccache gcc -std=gnu99 -Wall -Wshadow -Werror -Wunused -Wextra
-fgnu89-inline -Wformat=2
-isystem/lfs/poky/poky-4.0-build/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/include -O2
-Wl,-rpath-link,../libelf:../libdw
-L/lfs/poky/poky-4.0-build/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/lib
-Wl,-rpath-link,/lfs/poky/poky-4.0-build/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/lib
-Wl,-rpath,/lfs/poky/poky-4.0-build/tmp/sysroots/i686-linux/usr/lib
-Wl,-O1 -o findtextrel
findtextrel.o ../libdw/libdw.so ../libelf/libelf.so
| ./ld: invalid option -- 'p'
| Try `ld --help' or `ld --usage' for more information.
| collect2: ld returned 64 exit status
| make[2]: *** [findtextrel] Error 1
| rm i386_ld.o
| make[2]: Leaving directory
`/lfs/poky/poky-4.0-build/tmp/work/i686-linux/elfutils-native-0.148-r1/elfutils-0.148/src'
| make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
| make[1]: Leaving directory
`/lfs/poky/poky-4.0-build/tmp/work/i686-linux/elfutils-native-0.148-r1/elfutils-0.148'
| make: *** [all] Error 2
| FATAL: oe_runmake failed
| ERROR: Task failed: ('function do_compile failed',
'/lfs/poky/poky-4.0-build/tmp/work/i686-linux/elfutils-native-0.148-r1/temp/log.do_compile.26312')
NOTE: package elfutils-native-0.148-r1: task do_compile: Failed
ERROR: Task 283
(virtual:native:/lfs/poky/poky-laverne-4.0/meta/recipes-devtools/elfutils/elfutils_0.148.bb, do_compile) failed with 1

> For native packages, yes the host compiler from your distribution is expected btw.
>
> > have also downloaded the toolchain in /opt/poky, and manually reran
> > configure in the elfutils to use the compilers in /opt/poky and it built
> > fine.
> >
> > What config changes do I have to make so that bitbake builds everything
> > using the toolchain compilers rather than the default gcc?  (i.e have it
> > run each configure script so that it specifies the toolchain compiler
> > rather than use the default compiler)
> >
> > I did run the environment script
> >
> > 	/opt/poky/environment-setup-i586-poky-linux
> >
> > but apparently more is required
> >

> This makes me a bit confused what you're tempting to do. Did you try to build
> a complete sato image, or want to use pre-built image and downloard toolchain
> to develop application? For the former you don't need the later /opt/poky
> stuff. For the latter you don't need build any native packages since all the toolchains
> are already there.

Long term what I want to do is build an embedded linux system from
scratch to run on our own hardware.

I only found out about yacto today through searching around the Intel
EDC web site.  We have the Intel Atom based eval board (EG20T) with
Tunnel Creek and saw today that this is a newly supported platform in
yocto so I was very anxious to try it out.  I thought it would be best
to first try and build a standard configuration first just to learn the
tool, so short term, yes, I want to build the complete sato image.   We
are building our own Intal Atom/ Tunnel Creek embedded platform and on
the surface it looks like yacto is a perfect fit.  Trying to decide now
if commercial linux is required or if something like yocto will work.

For developing embedded products I like the idea of having an "isolated"
toolchain so I can built a consistent product, regardless of what
updates I do to my laptop distribution.  So is there a way to configure
yocto to use the /opt/poky toolchain rather than the fedora tools?