[yocto] Observations on Yocto alpha

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Thu Feb 24 12:49:30 PST 2011

On 2/24/11 1:01 PM, Borman, David wrote:
> 8) When running the script:
> 	source bernard-5.0-alpha/poky-init-build-env poky-4.0-build
> if you forgot to "source" it, you get back to a prompt without any
> indication that things aren't set up.  Personally, I'd rather that
> this set be done with a sub-shell instead of sourcing into the
> current shell environment, so that:
> 	1) you always would get to a prompt that had the env set up
> 	2) Your existing environment wouldn't be changed.  A ^D
> 	   would get you back to your old environment.
> The current script also assumes the user will be running bash or
> some variant of it, and doesn't allow for users that run something
> else, e.g. csh or tcsh.

Sounds like something went wrong with the env script, it's supposed to generate
a warning if you don't source it.  Which shell were you using when you sourced it?

Non-POSIX shells are not supported (in Poky at least).  Which is why csh/tcsh
isn't there.. but bash, ash, dash, zsh, etc all though work..  there is one
issue with zsh where it can't tell if you sourced it or not (which is why I'm
asking about the above.)

For csh/tcsh there is an unofficial patch to enable support -- but so far it's
been deemed to risky to included.

--Mark