[yocto] Yocto alpha testing feedback

Correia, Helia helia.correia at intel.com
Wed Feb 23 07:20:29 PST 2011

Hi all,

Below is my assessment.
Regards,

Helia

---

Alpha tester: helia.correia at intel.com<mailto:helia.correia at intel.com>
Technical background: Medium

a.           Which architecture you chose in step 3.
Targets: poky-image-sato, poky-image-minimal.
Machines: qemux86, mx31ads, qemuppc.

b.           How easily you were able to build an image and boot an image.
I was not comfortable with handling some terminal messages involving tools and/or notions I am not used to. But I could overcome the problems I met thanks to the help of Christophe Sureau, one of my team mates, as well as the of #yocto IRC channel community who is responsive and provides great assistance. Further detail about my testing is as follows.

First test

-        Target: poky-image-sato / Machine: qemux86

-        I used $ git clone git://git.pokylinux.org/poky.git -branch bernard-5.0-alpha command
This scenario went well, and I could run Yocto built image (displays a graphical user interface) but it was out of the scope since Alpha test was meant to be performed from bernard-5-alpha tag.

Second test

-        Target: poky-image-sato + poky-image-minimal / Machine: mx31ads

-        I met below errors when using bitbake command:

1.      /proc/sys/vm/mmap_min_addr is not 0

Fixed by adding vm.mmap_min_addr = 0 in /etc/sysctl.conf (helped by team mate).

2.      Nothing PROVIDES mx31ads

Fixed by using bitbake command along with a target name instead of the machine name (helped by #yocto IRC channel community).

3.      /home/helia/poky/meta/recipes/-kernel/linux/linux-mx31_2.6.22.6.bb failed

I tried both poky-image-sato and poky-image-minimal targets to determine whether the error was specific to one target or not.

Fixed by updating the list of machines in local.conf file (helped by #yocto IRC channel community).
This scenario was out of the scope as I tried to build for a machine that didn't seem to be supported.

Third test

-        Target: poky-image-sato / Machine: qemux86
This scenario went well, and I could run the built image (displays a graphical user interface).

Fourth test

-        Target: poky-image-sato / Machine: qemuppc
This scenario went well, and I could run the built image (command line interface).

c.            Whether it was easy to find the support you needed to perform the above steps.
Yes it was.

d.           Which bugzilla reports you submitted (providing the bugzilla number and description is sufficient).
None.

---
Helia Correia
Test Engineer

[cid:image001.png at 01CBD373.05BD6870]Software and Services Group, Intel corp.
                            Montpellier, France

92196 Meudon Cedex, France
Registration Number:  302 456 199 R.C.S. NANTERRE
Capital: 4,572,000 Euros