[yocto] Missing patch files in SRC_URIs

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Wed Aug 24 12:36:35 PDT 2011

Hi Paul,

On 24 Aug 2011, at 12:11, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Wednesday 24 August 2011 08:59:15 Chris Tapp wrote:
>> bitbake doesn't seem to be detecting missing patch files. In
>> a .bbappend file (for linux-wrs_git) I have:
>>
>> SRC_URI += " file://defconfig"
>>
>> SRC_URI_append_Vortex86DX = "\
>> 	   file://there-is-no.patch;patch=1 "
>
> FYI patch=1 is no longer necessary as of quite some time ago -
> the .patch (or
> .diff) extension is enough to indicate that it's a patch.

It seems as if it's this that's causing the problem. I had a 'real'
patch file in place and it wasn't being processed during do_unpack.
Removing the 'patch=1' fixed this and it was processed as expected. It
seems as if adding the 'patch=1' to the file means it's not used as a
file or patch and is simply ignored, which would explain what I was
seeing. A 'missing' file without 'patch=1' is reported as an error.

>> bitbake -c patch -f virtual/kernel
>>
>> runs without reporting any errors, even though linux-wrs_Vortex86DX/
>> does not contain 'there-is-no.patch'.
>
> Are you sure there is no patch of this name elsewhere in the search
> path for
> this recipe? This is buggy behaviour if there isn't. (bitbake -e
> linux-wrs |
> grep "^FILESPATH" will give you the entire path it is using.) In any
> case the
> directory it should search for the patch in is linux-wrs/Vortex86DX
> not linux-
> wrs_Vortex86DX.

I'm certain - I made this file name up specially for testing ;-)

My, doesn't FILESPATH get complicated !

> I'd also recommend for consistency if it's not too difficult to
> change at this
> point that you use an all-lowercase machine name.

Easily done, as this is only experimental at the moment. I'll try and
remember to change it when I finish later on so I can run a complete
rebuild over night.

Thanks for the pointer.

Chris Tapp

opensource at keylevel.com