[yocto] linux-yocto 3.0.1 upgrade broke PREFERRED_VERSION setting in BSPs

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Wed Aug 17 22:31:28 PDT 2011

On 08/17/2011 09:40 PM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On 11-08-18 12:11 AM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>> On 11-08-17 11:23 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
>>> We have just rolled out PREFERRED_VERSION="3.0+git%", and these now fail
>>> with messages like:
>>>
>>> NOTE: preferred version 3.0+git% of linux-yocto not available (for item
>>> virtual/kernel)
>>>
>>> I could patch everything really quick to use 3.0.1+git%... but 3.0.2 was
>>> just released and I'd have to do it again tomorrow. For 2.6.37, the

and 3.0.3 is out...

>>> LINUX_VERSION remained the same across point releases. I recommend we do
>>> the same for 3.0. I really don't want to have to go through and update
>>> all the PREFERRED_VERSIONs in addition to all the SRCREVs everytime a
>>> point release comes out.
>>
>> I made this change due to some other explicit requests about the
>> kernel version not being obvious. I don't really see this as a big
>> deal, I'm already updating SRCREVs, we are already updating the
>> SRCREVs in the meta-* layers .. so I fail to see how this is much
>> more load.

Don't forget the -rt variant, it is still at 3.0.

>> I'd argue that 2.6.37 was a mistake, and you shouldn't even need
>> to set the preferred version anymore once the latest kernel works
>> for your machines. It will always be selected and you shouldn't
>> need to force it. We only needed this during the transition phase,
>> and I'm about to change the default in meta-yocto .. so you definitely
>> won't need it.
>
> Another thought on this is that we follow up on the discussion that
> we had when I first had to force some boards back to 2.6.37. We drop
> all the preferred version manipulations and control this via
> DEFAULT_PREFERENCE.
>
> I can just set DEFAULT_PREFERENCE = -1 in the linux-yocto_<ver>.bb
> file, and as machines are tested/validated, they'll just set
> the DEFAULT_PREFERENCE_$MACHINE in their recipe/bbappend file. That
> saves us all the PREFERRED version fun.

It makes a lot more sense to me to specify the kernel to use in the
machine config and not allow whatever recipe claim DEFAULT_PREFERENCE
for the machines.

> Alternatively, we go back to just setting it to 3.0 and leaving it
> there and those folks that don't want to check the tags in the kernel
> I can put a comment in the recipe that lets them know the true
> version.

It is a bit odd to have to specify a version that doesn't match the
filename itself. But I guess we already have to do that in part with the
"+git%" thing. What is the "%" by the way - is it a wildcard? If so, can
we use a wildcard to include point releases?

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center