[yocto] linux-yocto 3.0.1 upgrade broke PREFERRED_VERSION setting in BSPs

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Wed Aug 17 21:40:19 PDT 2011

On 11-08-18 12:11 AM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On 11-08-17 11:23 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
>> We have just rolled out PREFERRED_VERSION="3.0+git%", and these now fail
>> with messages like:
>>
>> NOTE: preferred version 3.0+git% of linux-yocto not available (for item
>> virtual/kernel)
>>
>> I could patch everything really quick to use 3.0.1+git%... but 3.0.2 was
>> just released and I'd have to do it again tomorrow. For 2.6.37, the
>> LINUX_VERSION remained the same across point releases. I recommend we do
>> the same for 3.0. I really don't want to have to go through and update
>> all the PREFERRED_VERSIONs in addition to all the SRCREVs everytime a
>> point release comes out.
>
> I made this change due to some other explicit requests about the
> kernel version not being obvious. I don't really see this as a big
> deal, I'm already updating SRCREVs, we are already updating the
> SRCREVs in the meta-* layers .. so I fail to see how this is much
> more load.
>
> I'd argue that 2.6.37 was a mistake, and you shouldn't even need
> to set the preferred version anymore once the latest kernel works
> for your machines. It will always be selected and you shouldn't
> need to force it. We only needed this during the transition phase,
> and I'm about to change the default in meta-yocto .. so you definitely
> won't need it.

Another thought on this is that we follow up on the discussion that
we had when I first had to force some boards back to 2.6.37. We drop
all the preferred version manipulations and control this via
DEFAULT_PREFERENCE.

I can just set DEFAULT_PREFERENCE = -1 in the linux-yocto_<ver>.bb
file, and as machines are tested/validated, they'll just set
the DEFAULT_PREFERENCE_$MACHINE in their recipe/bbappend file. That
saves us all the PREFERRED version fun.

Alternatively, we go back to just setting it to 3.0 and leaving it
there and those folks that don't want to check the tags in the kernel
I can put a comment in the recipe that lets them know the true
version.

Cheers,

Bruce