[yocto] Configuring a layer to support multiple targets

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Fri Aug 12 15:54:28 PDT 2011

On 2011-08-12 16:31, Chris Tapp wrote:
> What is the best way to configure a layer to support multiple targets that share a common base?
>
> For example, a set of targets that use the Vortex86DX SOC share common peripherals and also have per-variant peripherals.
>
> I was thinking:
>
> 1) Have a conf/machine file for each variant;
> 2) Make these use an include for the Vortex86DX SOC.
>
> However, I can't work out how to get a per-machine defconfig file. Is there some way of using the machine name to do this? Can I just use
>
> FILESEXTRAPATHS := "${THISDIR}/${PN}/${MACHINE}"
>
> in a kernel .bbappend file?

That shouldn't even be necessary. Just something like this:
   FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}"
and it will look for files in various directories
   ${THISDIR}/${PN}/${MACHINE}
   ${THISDIR}/${PN}
(and maybe some others)

For example, I have one layer for a project which supports
three different targets (all part of the same platform) using
this technique.