[yocto] Configuring a layer to support multiple targets

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Fri Aug 12 15:31:49 PDT 2011

What is the best way to configure a layer to support multiple targets
that share a common base?

For example, a set of targets that use the Vortex86DX SOC share common
peripherals and also have per-variant peripherals.

I was thinking:

1) Have a conf/machine file for each variant;
2) Make these use an include for the Vortex86DX SOC.

However, I can't work out how to get a per-machine defconfig file. Is
there some way of using the machine name to do this? Can I just use

FILESEXTRAPATHS := "${THISDIR}/${PN}/${MACHINE}"

in a kernel .bbappend file?

Chris Tapp

opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com