[yocto] Personal git repositories

Tom Zanussi tom.zanussi at intel.com
Tue Apr 26 21:39:08 PDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 20:00 -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
> git.yoctoproject.org hosts a number of different repositories, some of
> which host limited user contributions (such as poky-contrib). These
> repositories are setup and administered by a yoctoproject.org system admin.
>
> As our developer base grows, the need for user creatable git trees also
> grows. Eventually, *-contrib isn't going to scale, and neither will the
> system admin. There are plenty of available places individuals can
> create publicly accessible trees (github, kernel.org, or any number of
> similar sites). However, I think it would be beneficial for at least
> very active developers to be able to create and destroy trees on a whim,
> without having to involve the system admin with each event.
>
> kernel.org provides a git web interface for user created trees. I'd like
> to see something similar available at yoctoproject.org in order to
> establish single place to go looking for "yocto developer trees". Users
> would have to justify their request for a user account and agree to a
> terms of use. This has served the Linux kernel community very well. I
> think it could do the same for us.
>
> Note: I am not offering to setup such a service or even say that it's
> possible with the current resources. I just wanted to throw the idea out
> there and see if others have found a similar gap in the development
> environment and if this idea would address that gap.
>
> Thoughts?

My thinking (I guess - I didn't really think that much about it at the
time) when requesting the meta-intel-contrib repo was that repos that
could expect to get continual contributions from many people would
benefit from having a corresponding -contrib version - so far that's
poky-contrib, linux-yocto-*.contrib, and openembedded-core-contrib.  To
me bsp repos fit the same criteria, but I'm not the one who has to
manage it all, so I understand the desire to avoid the proliferation.

Seems like the personal repos idea would mitigate the problem...

Tom