[yocto] Recipe maintainer-ship and distro_tracking_fields.inc

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Fri Apr 8 10:06:48 PDT 2011

Yocto Project Contributors,

Please review and comment on this.

As we we move forward, we are trying to keep track of who is maintaining
the recipes and what version tracking is, as not all upstream
information can be tracked automatically, so we have been using a
distro_tracking_fields.inc file located in meta/conf/distro/include.

This file is used not only for tracking version information, but also by
the Package Database (http://packages.yoctoproject.org), so that people
that use the Yocto Project they can see License and Version information
via a web interface.

We will also use it to generate reminder emails as upstream packages are
updated to update the recipes (if appropriate) or mark in the
distro_track_fields.inc file that it should not be updated. By keeping
the RECIPE_MAINTAINER information current, this will help to improve the
quality and currentness of core recipe meta-data.

 From time to time recipe ownership changes, if you are interested in
contributing to the Yocto Project recipes as part of core or other
layers, then please take a look at the who the current maintainer is and
let them know you would like to help.  When you do that and the current
owner replies, please update the distro_tracking_fields.inc with your
name as RECIPE_MAINTAINER.

As the Yocto Project wants to keep the to the most current stable
release of the upstream projects, the maintainers will receive email
during the development milestones reminding them to update their recipes
as appropriate. This will also be tracked by the core maintainers, if a
recipe is not updated in a timely manner, the core maintainers may
update it directly. If the recipe maintainer is unable to continue
updating their recipes beyond 1 release, the core maintainers may choose
to re-assign the recipe, so the recipe does not become stale.

http://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Distro_Tracking

--
     Sau!

Saul Wold