[yocto] Master stability and the autobuilder.

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Thu Dec 23 17:09:04 PST 2010

On 12/22/2010 12:57 PM, Elizabeth Flanagan wrote:
> All,
>
> In preparation for the M3 milestone, I've been taking notes on what our
> build and release process is and where the pain points are over the
> course of the M2 milestone. A few things I've noted that are concerning:

Beth,

Good job here on pulling together the various pain points and summarizing.

> 1. We have a really long build cycle. It takes a good 40 hours before
> contamination of master is recognized and a further 40 hours *at the
> very minimum* before it can be verified as corrected.
>
> 2. We are very resource constrained. Because the build loop is so long,
> our two build slaves are essentially in use 24/7. This will be
> alleviated soon with a new build slave, but not until after the new year.
>
> 3. There was an issue in M2 (which I'm not totally filled in on yet, I'm
> going to be pinging people for details) which caused some kernel issues
> around the M2 branch for ppc and arm. I haven't seen (and I've been
> swamped with email recently, so I may have missed it) any resolution on
> this in master.

Yes and no, the ARM issue was resolved (missing mouse driver), the Slow
boot PPC issue was not verifiable, seemed to be related to sanity
testing, but we still need to verify this one.

There was also an issue with the image not being built for mpc8315 (#610)

> 4. People are relying on the autobuilder to do their builds or to verify
> their code.
>
> My main goal in M3 and on, is the stability of master. If we were less
> resource constrained, I could allow the autobuilder to be a global
> community resource where people could just queue up their various
> builds. That, unfortunately, is not the case for now. What this means is
> that I have to ask people for a few things.
>
> 1. I'll be cleaning up the poky autobuilder config within the git repo
> and making it very developer specific so that you should be able to run
> a script and have the autobuilder set up to run incremental and fulls
> (and an optional swabber target) on your own machine and have it work
> right out of the box. Once my pull for the new autobuilder comes
> through, please, set up your own local autobuilder instance. This should
> be by the EOD today. I'll be somewhat available through the holidays to
> assist people with local machine setups, but it should be fairly
> straightforward.
>
> 2. Please, make certain that your code builds on your local buildbot
> before submitting a pull request. As the project grows, maintaining the
> stability of master will become more and more important and the limited
> resources of our maintainers and our infrastructure will become more and
> more stretched.

I can not stress this enough, I would like to get clean code from people
so that when I have to do the integration build I am not fighting problems.

Thanks for helping to make this a stable master

Sau!