[yocto] PULL] ADT installer script implementation, Liping Ke

Ke, Liping liping.ke at intel.com
Thu Dec 9 17:34:51 PST 2010

> > The first thing I read was in the patch was:
> >
> > +# following are for testing in my machine. it will be moved when
> > +# going into code repository
> > +export http_proxy=""
> > +export HTTP_PROXY=""
> > +export HTTPS_PROXY=""
> > +export https_proxy=""
> > +export ftp_proxy=""
> > +export FTP_PROXY=""
> >
> > which it evidently wasn't! ;-)
> >
> > The rest of that file suggests it probably shouldn't be there
> > actually?
> >

> Sorry for this obvious mistake. Need to do a better job before sending
> our a
> review request next time

Oh, I am sorry that I should not send the [pull] request, instead I should send a review request.
I meant to collect some review comments before finalize the code.

This is for testing. So I did not remove this part. When going into tree,
it will definitely be removed.

> > I then decided to try it.
> >
> > cd /
> > root at rex:/# /rphome/poky/scripts/adt-installer/yocto_installer
> > /rphome/poky/scripts/adt-installer/yocto_installer: line 207:
> > .config: No such file or directory [snip lots of similar errors]
> >
> > So I'd suggest it looks at the location of the main script and then
> > uses
> > this to find its config files.
> >
> > It then found the presetup .config file and took those values as the
> > defaults. This was not obvious to me, it should perhaps really state
> > where its getting that config from.
> >
> > I removed the .config file. That didn't help me so I removed
> > yocto_installer.conf. This didn't help me much either.
> >

> That definitely a bug regarding how to locate .config that we need to
> address.  As to the different config files, the .config is on purpose
> non
> user editable that's why we set it as hidden file by default.  And the
> yocto_installer.conf is the customizable config user should change and
> we
> have prompt for the user as regard to the configuration values to be
> used
> and where they're from along the installation process...

Yes, this is a problem. After source .config (default location), if we
Failed to locate the file, I should prompt to exit instead of going forward.

> > Now, reading the script I suddenly realise the user doesn't get
> > prompted
> > to be able to change the values, you can only set these in the config
> > files.
> >
> > I tried hitting Y for fun despite knowing it would crash and burn.
> > Those
> > error messages were good so kudos there :)
> >
> > I think it would make most sense for the user to be prompted for
> unset
> > values with "enter" selecting a sane set of defaults.
> >
> Agree and will make improvement on that..
OK, I will give default values for all those variables. If user needs to
change it, he can use a config file to override it. Thanks for the suggestion.

> > So in summary, I think the right pieces are there in terms of
> > configuration but the user interaction needs a lot more thought. I
> > didn't try an actual installation as I don't have a local setup to
> > allow
> > it.
> >
> > For the next review, I'd like an opkg repo to be available somewhere
>
> Lianhao has a testing opkg repo setup on his machine which mimic the
> release
> package repo and we've been using it test things out

Also I did not attach the opkg source tar ball, so the script can't be run
actually. I plan to dynamically fetch opkg source file when using bitbake
to generate adt-installer tarball. But for reviewing, next time, I will
include the opkg source file tarball in the installer tarball.

Thanks& Regards,
criping