[yocto] [beagleboard] Yocto

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Fri Dec 3 11:15:33 PST 2010

On 10-12-03 02:11 PM, Xianghua Xiao wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Petr Štetiar<ynezz at true.cz>  wrote:
>> Michael J. Hammel<mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>  [2010-12-03 11:01:27]:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I've heard of Yocto only in passing.  I'm assuming it's another
>>> bitbake-based metabuild system?  Is there some reasoning why
>>> Meego/Linaro/OpenEmbedded/Angstrom/Custom Builds cannot fill the
>>> requirements of Yocto?  I don't mean that harshly at all - I'm just
>>> curious about the evolution and true target audiences of these projects.
>>> It's nice to have choices, but developers should have some idea of the
>>> differences so they can choose wisely when just starting.
>>
>> Richard wrote nice summary[1], it's worth reading and it might answer your
>> questions as well :-)
>>
>> 1. http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2010-November/026598.html
>>
>> -- ynezz
>>
>> --
>>

> May we know roughly how many paid resources are behind Yocto?
>
> Which arch will be first officially supported? Will it be ATOM as Poky
> is really part of Intel? Beagle/ARM will be done by the community
> instead?

I can provide some answers for this part of the query.

In the 0.9 release, we already support the following arches:

   - x86(64), mips, arm and powerpc

These are all based on a 2.6.34 kernel base (with an option
for 2.6.37-rcX shortly). There are simulated targets for
each arch, and a hardware reference for each as well
(for ARM the reference hardware is the beagleboard).

Hope that helps,

Bruce