[yocto] Still having build problems - what version of python is required?

Joshua Lock josh at linux.intel.com
Thu Dec 2 11:05:39 PST 2010

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 10:54 -0800, Tim Bird wrote:
> So I gave up, for the time being, trying to build behind
> my firewall.
>
> I tried to set up a machine outside my firewall to do a build.
> Unfortunately, this machine is a bit dated.  It is running
> Fedora 8, with python version 2.5.1.
>
> Here's what I get when I run bitbake:
>
> [tbird at tree poky-4.0-build]$ bitbake poky-image-minimal
>   File "/a/home/tbird/work/yocto/poky-laverne-4.0/scripts/..//bitbake//bin/bitbake", line 207
>     except Exception as e:
>                       ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
> [tbird at tree poky-4.0-build]$ python --version
> Python 2.5.1
> [tbird at tree poky-4.0-build]$ cat /etc/issue
> Fedora release 8 (Werewolf)1
>
> What version of python is required?
>
> Note also that I couldn't find a prce package for this distro, despite
> there being an prce-devel page available.  I don't know how important
> that will be for building stuff.
>
> Is it a dead end trying to get a host distro this old to build
> poky?

Possibly not, poky can build a standalone Python for people without
Python 2.6 on their host system. If you've any will left it could be
enough, I've used this Python version to do Poky builds on CentOS 5.5.

You need the appropriate version from
http://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org/downloads/miscsupport/

It will need extracting at / and will inflate
to /opt/poky/sysroots/$ARCH-pokysdk-linux/usr/bin/python you'll probably
want to update your PATH.

Cheers,
Joshua
--