[Yocto-bsp] About how port yocto to a customized MIPS cpu

张健 jackzhang1992 at t.shu.edu.cn
Tue Jan 26 19:00:32 PST 2016

hi,everyone:
    This is Jack from Shanghai, in my first year in graduate school.
    I'm sending email here to asking for some help about "how to port linux on a customized cpu run on FPGA board".
Before I have been working on how to use "verilog" to make a cpu (based on MIPS32 ISA) on a FPGA board, and for now  I could form a set of cpu code, and use assembly on it.
The following is my tetris demo,which is written in assembly language and run on the MPIS32 CPU (written in verilog on FPGA board).
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/e-E5lVrQfTw/
These days, I start to think the question about how to port linux on my tiny "cpu". So I find "yocto",which seems the thing that could help me.
I have finished the "yocto project quick start" document online yesterday. (http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.0/yocto-project-qs/yocto-project-qs.html)
and was very happy to see that it could "boot" on the qemu simulator.
and I found the following are the boot image files:
   bzImage; bzImgage.bin; core-imgae-sato-qemux86.ext4;core-image-sato-qemux86.tar.bz2;modules-qemux86.tgz ...etc

In some embedded boards, they usually write a linux image file(.img ) to a sd card. Then plug in to the board. Finally it boots.
But I have no idea what's inside the .img files, and how to let my fpga board to understand the .img files.
So this  is reason why I'm here to ask you guys for some help.
And wish to know if it is possible to port the "yocto" to my own project.
Thank you and Best wishes !
To geeks :)

Jack