[yocto-ab] Project Status: The good, the bad and the worrying

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Feb 13 09:23:01 PST 2019

On Wed, 2019-02-13 at 08:00 -0800, akuster wrote:
> > Also, many members layers do not have Yocto Project Compatible
> > Status.
> > Meta-Openembedded has issues which many layers depend upon, as does
> > for
> > example meta-arago or parts of mentor's layers, with engineers
> > claiming
> > lack of time is the reason.
>
> It is also a black hole process. Not sure if this is do to the
> pending TLC creation or not.

I think you mean TSC and the answer is partly. There is an open bug
about problems with the YP Compatible script. Most engineers ignore the
bugzilla at this point :(. Who is going to document the process?
Perhaps help automate it?

The working group basically has the remit for this right now but for
something like that it means Nico or I need to do it (Michael could do
some of it).

One thing the OE TSC quickly had to realise was that it was a decision
making body, not a taskforce. A taskforce would rock but needs people
with dedicated time.

> > The SWAT process/team which looks after autobuilder failures is
> > basically in freefall at the moment. There are some team members
> > who do
> > reply to the weekly rotation to say they know about it, then don't
> > look
> > at the autobuilder *at all* until it rotates away from them.
> My apologies. I have been slaking these past few months.

There is something I want to make really clear.

I don't want any of the engineers involved to feel bad about any of
this. There are things in here which indirectly reflect on several key
people in the project and I appreciate all they do, we have many
rockstars! :)

I realise people have multiple priorities and we all do the best we
can.

The point of bringing this up is to highlight that a) we are surviving
but that b) we have some challenges and are hugely resource
constrained. There are people here who may be able to help change
things so its worth discussing IMO. None of the engineers/contributors
should be feeling bad about anything.

Cheers,

Richard