[yocto-ab] Future of powerpc support in Yocto Project?

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Thu May 10 12:16:10 PDT 2018

Thanks Richard for putting this in front of AB

On 5/10/18 9:57 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> Right now we support four architectures equally, one of them being
> powerpc.
>
> Unfortunately its status as a primary architecture is coming under
> threat as the support in gcc and glibc is at risk of being
> deprecated/dropped as its not being maintained in the same way as the
> other architectures are. Khem can likely provide more information as he
> has connections into those communities.

gcc 8.x has marked SPE port of ppc obsolete and can be enabled with
--enable-obsolete, however it does mean that it will disappear in gcc 9+

https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc/blob/master/gcc/config.gcc#L236-L250

ppc 32-bit has been deprecated in many distros e.g. debian already for
couple of years now from being a release architecture

the reference implementation for qemuppc uses a non-spe target so we are
alive on that but we have done several fixes especially in toolchain
area, extending upto core-metadata and packages to accommodate SPE

At this point we spend quite a bit of effort in keeping things rolling
when it comes to ppc 32bit.

> Right now we don't have any firm plans on what to do. What I do want to
> ask is whether any of the members have interest in powerpc, or whether
> we should consider dropping that support to focus on the others?

Probably we can mark it secondary architecture which does not gate
release and development, we can still keep accepting patches and fixes
from community.