[yocto-ab] [Yocto-Advocacy] Yocto project messaging

Jeffrey Osier-Mixon jeffrey.osier-mixon at intel.com
Thu Jan 29 08:40:50 PST 2015

Thanks for the specific examples, those are very helpful indeed. As we
rebuild the website to include IoT and other vertical messaging, it does
make sense to discuss these things and integrate what we find into the
site.

However, I'm not sure we will have a large immediate impact on the way
people refer to these things. Most of the references I see to "Yocto"
rather than "Yocto Project" come from people who are not maintainers or
otherwise directly involved with the project. We can certainly address
project documentation and advocacy messaging, but we have no control and
little influence over most of the presentations out there. Thus, I have
almost made my peace with the use of "Yocto" by itself.

I think we should reconsider referring to OE as just a build system, as
it is more than that. An explanation should be easy but also absolutely
correct, even if not complete.

The reference distro is named "Poky", but what we refer to as Poky is
actually a reference system - the whole system as a package. If YP is a
class, Poky is one instance of that class. So it includes:

- OE, which itself provides BitBake and oe-core
- meta-yocto with its baseline BSPs
- several other build tools
- robust documentation

Where OE is DIY, Poky is an off-the-shelf packaged system.

I have debated for years about the best ways to explain these things,
and thus the messaging.

Re the Edison docs, I have heard about this (from Paul) and I'm still
looking for the right way to file a bug.