[yocto-ab] Yocto project messaging

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Thu Jan 29 02:24:18 PST 2015

While reading abstracts from FOSDEM and ELC I've noticed that people are
very confused about what the words Yocto Project, OpenEmbedded, Poky,
and bitbake mean. Each of these words has a specific meaning:

The Yocto Project is working to make embedded development easier.

OpenEmbedded is a build system used by the Yocto Project.

Poky is the Yocto Project reference distribution.

bitbake is a tool used by OpenEmbedded to create working images and
sdk's for Poky.

What I read in the wild are seemingly random ways of stringing together
the words; bitbake, OpenEmbedded, Poky, Project, and Yocto. (sometimes
mixed up with Tizen, maemo, and other similar but different projects)

>From my point of view we need to work from the top down and clean up how
we talk about the Project in documentation and presentations originating
from the Yocto Project and provide some guidance on the weg page to
define these words better. Even at dev day, I've seen slides contradict
themselves about these words.

What do you guys think? I've included some quotes from FOSDEM, ELC and
the Edison docs (not picking on Intel specifically, but some of these
were pointed out to me by a community member) at the end of this email.

Philip

"Building a medical monitoring connected device with Yocto
Professional OS with yocto"

"We will then show how Yocto and Tizen-meta can be used to create ..."

"The presentation will also provide information about U-Boot, Yocto
project, the Linux-Sunxi and Linux-Rockchip, Minnowboard communities."
(This line is pretty good)

"... build images using the Yocto Linux build system."

"Poky has already become one of the most popular build system to make an
embedded Linux environment. Poky refers to OpenEmbedded originally"

"The set of Yocto recipes necessary ..."