[yocto-ab] Fwd: Re: eglibc vs glibc

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 12:56:48 PST 2013

Thanks Sean for pointin out that my message went encrypted I was using
a less frequently used machine to reply. Here is forwarded message (
hopefully not crypted this time)

On 12/11/2013 1:53 PM, Hart, Darren wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-12-11 at 21:09 +0000, Richard Purdie wrote:
>> On Wed, 2013-12-11 at 11:59 -0500, William Mills wrote:
>>> From Linaro I understand that eglibc is nearing its last
>>> release. Linaro is planning the transition from eglibc to
>>> glibc. They are asking what gaps remain in glibc that are
>>> important to
eglibc
>>> users. We realize that embedded is the most likely where any
>>> gaps exist. Linaro toolchain builds eglibc but they turn on all
>>> the options so
they
>>> do not have a lot of experience on scaling down.
>>>
>>> Has oe-core already done or planned the transition to glibc?
>>
>> It has not done it and the transition is not planned as yet.
>>
>>> Have we identified any gaps?
>>
>> The biggest issue is the lack of config options to cut down the
>> size of eglibc.
>>
>>> Has any one tried yp-tiny with glibc?
>>
>> No, it won't work due to the issue above.
>
> An open work item here is to complete research into the limitations
> of uclibc to determine if the granular componentization of eglibc
> is really needed, or if uclibc might be a more appropriate option
> for poky-tiny.

I would say yes thats a good option to consider for tiny systems.

> Alternatively, given the complexity of working with the eglibc
> config options and integrating it into a product, another option
> would be to only make the division at individual libraries and use
> uclibc when truly tiny is required.
>
> Ultimately, I think this alternative is where we will land.
> Especially if the resources can't be scratched together to do the
> port ourselves.
>
> My 0.02, for whatever it's worth.
>
> -- Darren
>

>>> Linaro toolchain group is asking if there are any gaps that
>>> need
to be
>>> closed. I don't know enough to guide them.
>>
>> The discussion was taken upstream:
>>
>> http://www.eglibc.org/archives/patches/msg01276.html
>>
>> but they've said no unless someone steps up to do the work. We're
>> kind of in stalemate at the moment as I understand it. Khem or
>> Mark may know more about the current status but I don't think
>> much as changed since those emails.

The changes w.r.t kconfigs is on our plate yes and I have plans but less
of time towards it lately but I would make sure that it does not get
dropped once eglibc is merged into glibc. Some pieces of this
feature is outside of eglibc at present.

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Richard

  Did you mean to send this to the AB list?  It shows that only Bill and
Darren can decrypt it.

Regards,
     Sean

Sean Hudson | Embedded Linux Architect & Member of Technical Staff
Mentor Graphics – Embedded Systems Division™