[yocto-ab] Question about Yocto Compatibility

Maupin, Chase chase.maupin at ti.com
Wed Dec 11 12:09:14 PST 2013

All,

I had a question about Yocto Compatibility and I figured this might be a good place to get guidance.   My team provides a CoreSDK which we create using the oe-core, meta-openembedded, meta-linaro, meta-ti, and meta-arago layers.

We have received Yocto Compatibility for meta-ti and meta-arago and since our CoreSDK is built from the mainlines of these layers and based on the Yocto stable releases such as Dylan and soon to be Dora we have been allowed to call our CoreSDK Yocto Compatible.

Where the question comes in is that we have multiple groups withing TI that take our CoreSDK and then extend it for their particular target market and use cases.  Currently there are 4 additional groups, each of them making multiple releases per year.  Obviously they too want to be able to claim Yocto Compatible but each group has a different amount of divergence from meta-ti and meta-arago.  We have been told in the past that if the divergence in minimal they can claim compatible but some have pretty extensive changes (and yes we are working with them to squash this and get their patches pushed back to the appropriate mainline).  The current model that many of these groups use is to make a clone of meta-ti and meta-arago where they can place their specific changes and last minute fixes as they are getting their product out the door.  However, our fear is that this would make reviewing these products for Yocto Compatible a real PITA because you would be checking many of the same things over and over instead of just the deltas.

Our proposal to these groups is that they should isolate their changes to a meta-xyz layer where they can override or bbappend our settings for what they need.  The benefits here are:

1.      During a review the changes are limited to the actual deltas

2.      The contents of that layer become a targetted list of items that need to be pushed into the appropriate downstream layer where more people can take advantage of them

As we split these changes up into new layers I thought it would be a good idea to get those layers reviewed for Yocto Compatible as well to make sure they are following the goals of the Yocto project.  In this way our core layers of meta-ti and meta-arago would have compatible status and each group could apply for their own status by asking for a review while not overwhelming the reviewer with reviewing the same things over and over.  Would this work and be something that would make it easier for each group to claim Yocto Compatible for their product?

One of the things I wanted to avoid was having groups claim Yocto Compatible without having their changes get reviewed.  I worry that this can fall into a gray area and that keeping some checks on the deltas and the different products is good to keep everyone "honest".

Sincerely,
Chase Maupin
Integration Team Manager
Linux Core Product Development