[yocto-ab] eglibc vs glibc

William Mills wmills at ti.com
Fri Dec 13 05:28:29 PST 2013

On 12/11/2013 01:29 PM, Khem Raj wrote:
> Hi Bill
>
> Yes. We have, we will keep using eglibc till its 2.20 based release
> which will be last eglibc release, which might not make into 1.6
> release.  The changes from eglibc are being merged into glibc and here
> is live list
>
> http://www.eglibc.org/archives/patches/msg01292.html
>
> This list is shrinking but not at a rate that we see it will get fully
> merged by 2.19 timeframe.
>
> At this point, I see lot of work if we have to make a switch however
> this should reduce and has been reducing as the eglibc features are
> pouring into glibc one by one. My suggestion would be to follow
> eglibc's merge path and not do it before that since it could be
> disruptive.
>
> I would suggest linaro to do the same. helping in migration effort
> would be more useful at this point.

Actually, since the Linaro toolchain builds goal is to provide a 12
month lookahead on where upstream releases will be, I think it makes
sense for Linaro to do this switch early.  Since TI uses these
toolchains in our YP based builds, this mean that TI will likly be
working these issues ahead of adoption by OE.

However, neither TI nor Linaro can help with the issues related to PPC
(or MIPS if there are any).

I am sure we have reach the limit of discussion appropriate for the AB
list.  Real meat should be on the oe-core list as pointed out before.