[yocto-ab] eglibc vs glibc

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Dec 11 13:09:18 PST 2013

On Wed, 2013-12-11 at 11:59 -0500, William Mills wrote:
>  From Linaro I understand that eglibc is nearing its last release.
> Linaro is planning the transition from eglibc to glibc.
> They are asking what gaps remain in glibc that are important to eglibc
> users.
> We realize that embedded is the most likely where any gaps exist.
> Linaro toolchain builds eglibc but they turn on all the options so they
> do not have a lot of experience on scaling down.
>
> Has oe-core already done or planned the transition to glibc?

It has not done it and the transition is not planned as yet.

> Have we identified any gaps?

The biggest issue is the lack of config options to cut down the size of
eglibc.

> Has any one tried yp-tiny with glibc?

No, it won't work due to the issue above.

> Linaro toolchain group is asking if there are any gaps that need to be
> closed.
> I don't know enough to guide them.

The discussion was taken upstream:

http://www.eglibc.org/archives/patches/msg01276.html

but they've said no unless someone steps up to do the work. We're kind
of in stalemate at the moment as I understand it. Khem or Mark may know
more about the current status but I don't think much as changed since
those emails.

Cheers,

Richard