[yocto-ab] Fwd: [yocto] Compliance program questions

Osier-mixon, Jeffrey jeffrey.osier-mixon at intel.com
Thu Apr 25 10:53:20 PDT 2013

Thanks for forwarding this. I still need to put together a task force
to do this & will at least get an email thread open today.

I answered Nicolas on the yocto list, but had a few notes for the AB as well.

>  - is there any 'practical' guide with "do's and don'ts" to help make
> a sucessful Yocto Project Compatible registration?

We can write one, but I'm not sure how it would be different from
"fill out the form". Maybe he means guidance on how to answer
individual questions, which we are addressing by revising the
questions themselves.

>  - i understand that while the project should build with the OE core
> toolchain, it is not required to use the OE core toolchain 'by
> default', so we should be able to provide our own modified/customized
> toolchain in our layers, is my understanding correct?

That is correct. MEL does this.

>  - it is recommended, but not mandatory not use the Yocto kernel, so
> we can use any mainline version in our BSP layers, right?

"Any" is a big term. Richard, what do you think?

>  - is it tolerated to change the versions of some components from
> OE-core or meta-oe? Not just add patches through .bbappend, but
> actually use an older or a more recent version of components, let's
> say Gstreamer for example?

I don't think we require specific versions of any packages. Richard?

>  - can we included new recipes for software programs not already
> included in oe-core or meta-oe in our layers, or do we have to
> contribute them back into oe-core or meta-oe before registration?

That is a very good question. If a layer has a recipe for, say, a
proprietary driver, can it ever be YPC? I would think so, but that
would be an Advisory Board decision. (Submitting it to meta-oe
wouldn't help much in any case since meta-oe is not YPC)

>  - the Yocto project compatible registration is made against a
> specific version of Yocto. What happens when a new Yocto version is
> released? Should we go through the registration process again?

The plan of record is for YP Compatible products/projects to resubmit
the form after testing with the new version. However, that does create
a problem if someone has, for example, a dozen YP Compatible products.
Plus, what happens with point releases? We need to discuss this one.

Jeff Osier-Mixon http://jefro.net/blog
Yocto Project Community Manager @Intel http://yoctoproject.org