[yocto-ab] Heads up: New meta-fsl-arm layer coming soon + potential new member

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Oct 17 14:58:17 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-17 at 23:19 +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2012, Richard Purdie wrote:
>
> > I just wanted to give people a heads up that I've been asked if meta-fsl-arm
> > can be hosted on git.yoctoproject.org.
>
> Do we have any documented rules, requirements or guidelines for how this is to
> be done somewhere?

I think it was generally agreed this falls to me deal with in the first
instance. We're still learning how we should be handling this but we did
put together some basic guidelines about publishing layers:

https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Layer_Publishing_Guide

The key requirements for repositories in general are:
  * be in keeping with the aims and objectives of the project
  * having a clear maintainer structure for the repository (so we know
    who to talk to for any given repository)
  * have active and responsive maintenance
  * doesn't conflict or overlap with other codebases without clearly
    explained reasons

The above applies to layers as well as codebases like pseudo.

Other than this, I really want to encourage people to use
git.yoctoproject.org and make it an active and vibrant place so we've
left things pretty flexible and hence I want to be permissive rather
than restrictive.

The only exceptions or time when I'd start to worry would be if there
was a non-member deriving significant benefit with us effectively giving
them a free ride by hosting something. It could well be that by hosting
it, the benefit we get outweighs the cost and I'd probably argue that
would be true in most cases.

In this specific case, I know Freescale have talked about joining and I
believe things are still in the process of happening. I'd hate for us
hosting the layer to effectively remove their desire for membership for
example, not that I think that will happen in this case.

So in summary I guess I'm:

* wanting to tell people about the new layer
* highlight that we have involvement of some new people in the project
* show that the relationship with Freescale is being considered

We've also highlighted that we need to better document some of the above
and perhaps Jefro can turn the above into some content for the new site
somewhere? :) I'd thought I'd written something like this before but if
I did, I couldn't immediately find it.

Cheers,

Richard